Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Pacts and Promises

There is a smart-alack saying that goes: "Don't write a check your ___ can't cash". When you hear that said to you- or if you actually say that to another person, it's usually said with a small amount of sarcasm and backed up by a tremendous amount of B.S. Most often, it is used in response to larger amounts of B.S. such as these:

  • I'll give you a million dollars win I win the lottery.
  • I'm quitting my job today and that #$*@$!%^&! can kiss my ___!
  • I'm going to kick your ___!
  • Will you marry me?

(Okay, I was kidding on the last one but you get the idea).

Most of the time I've ever said these types of things was when I was young & inexperienced and, as usual, nothing ever came from it. We are all big boasters about what we are going to do when this or that happens. Most of the time, these bombastic statements of macho virility never come back to hit you square in the face.

But what if it does?

What do you do when you made a promise to someone years ago and then you find yourself staring at the seconds hand on the clock as it swings its way around to midnight with death on the other side waiting?

What do you do and how do you keep a promise that meant so little in the scheme of things then and means everything now?

What do you do?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think you should honor your pact, if you are a true and standup person. For those that can give a ____ , then _____ them!!
;)