Thursday, February 01, 2007

India

15 years ago today, I left for India. A good friend of mine that I worked with was traveling there for a family function. After only one night of throwing around the idea of journeying with him & his wife, a week later I had purchased a round trip ticket. On February 1st, 1992- I left the United States after quitting my job, maxing out my credit card without any regret. I spent 50 days there.

A large part of my trip was spent in and around Bombay but we also traveled to the northwestern part of the country visiting the states of Rajasthan & Gujarat. A highlight of my trip was a few weeks on the road heading north into Jodphur (also known as The Blue City) where we visited the Mehrangarh Fort & the Umaid Bhawan Palace.







Leaving Jodphur and traveling west we went to Jaisalmer which is located in the Thar Desert about 50 kilometers from the Pakistan border. There we relaxed for a week with daily strolls about the fort & in the surrounding exterior areas of the city. A camel safari there is one of the fondest memories I have of my travels in India.

A few short weeks later (and a few more side trips to the Ajanta & Ellora Cave systems as well as Elephanta Island) my trip was over and I was on my way back to America. Of course I have many other stories to share, photos to show but those are for another time. I am proud to say that I came back to my home country a wiser and more humbled person. It was the trip of a lifetime and I shall never forget it.

No comments: