Monday, February 26, 2007

Post Oscar Award Thoughts

This year was by far, the worst year I’ve had for Oscar predictions in quite some time. Only 13 right out of 24 does not sit well with me. I guess that is what happens when you don’t do your home work on all the smaller categories (which is usually where I clean up). Still, I did get all 4 acting categories correct (who couldn’t get at least 3 of them right this year with Hudson, Mirren & Whitaker already winning most of the previous award shows & critics polls).

Marty got the sympathy vote.

There, I said it and I think a lot of you out there might think the same thing. Of the five films nominated for Best Picture, I would rank it no higher than third or even fourth. Still, it is nice to see him get an award that should have been given to him twice before.

Helen Mirren gave the best acceptance speech of the night- elegant, reserved, respectful, charming & most of all gracious.

I hope Clint Eastwood really forgot his glasses up there when he was speaking of Ennio Morricone. He looked bad, sounded bad & I believe he knew it.

I liked how the presenters read the script dialogue when presenting the screenplay nominations.

I disliked how the Academy presented the best picture nominations. Please go back to a blurb about the film and then showing a scene from the movie. This was a big, big let down.

Again, the Academy botches up the acceptance speech timing ritual. Let these people speak! This after show speech/web cam thing is for the birds. The spontaneity is gone when you do it that way. Block the show out for 5 hours and be done with it!

Ellen did a great job hosting. I wish there had been more of her in the show.

No comments: